Thursday, April 19, 2007

Since I'll be driving to Dallas tomorrow I am going to post today in advance. I hope you will forgive me.

Today was pretty fun. We spent a few hours in the nano-fabrication lab implementing designs we made last week. My nerdy contribution was a Feynman diagram, which turned out be such a simple design that the electron exposure took maybe half a second after which the computer let a pleasant "beep beep bloop". I'll post pictures of the final product (at nanometer scale!). My original idea was a 1:1 replica of Jason's unit, but that didn't make it past the approval stage.

The best part of today might be classified as stalking on my part, but it's okay because if the person is famous you are allowed and even encouraged to stalk them. I was sitting in the physics lounge and happened to look out the window and notice Stephen Hawking being lifted out of his van. I wanted to see him up close but I didn't want to make it obvious! So, since I knew his office was on the fifth floor, I ran to the stairs and ran up to the fifth floor where there is a small reading table and chairs adjacent to his office. I set up shop pretending to read and when he finally was wheeled in I peeked over the magazine at him, but he knew this game and totally caught me. Stephen Hawking can smirk.

On a more serious note, a friend of mine and a close friend of Hunter and Spencer had an accident in Ft. Worth over Easter. He suffered extreme brain trauma and the outlook isn't good, and so I'd like to close by imploring you to act safely and responsibly with regard to substances, especially if you are going to drive. Tonight is Thursday night. Everybody have fun tonight! (Everybody wang chung tonight?)

3 comments:

Zach said...

Stephen Hawking has an office at A&M?

Trent said...

Yes sir, he is a chaired professor here. He also has a chair named after him.

Zach said...

More liek wheelchaired professor AMIRITE? How often does he actually "work" in his office here?

I'm down for the paradigm shift. Let's brainstorm and workshop this idea. Just pick it apart, ya know? Hammer it out!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.